Effective immediately, J.P. Mascaro has changed their policy regarding the disposal of mattresses and box springs. Residents may continue to set out bulk furniture, such as sofas for collection at curbside, in most cases, up to one item per week. Mattresses and box springs must be bagged and sealed in plastic mattress bags when placed at curbside. Recent infestations of bed bugs have spread from mattresses to employees as they make curbside pickups.
- Have mattress company remove old mattress/box spring (if applicable).
- Save wrapping from new mattress/box spring and use that wrapping for old mattress/box spring to set out for bulk trash.
- All bags must be “encasement bag” (covering all sides of the mattress/box spring) sealed and not vented.
- Bags can be purchased from any large box store, Walmart, Target, Home Depots, Lowes, Bed Bath & Beyond, and U-Haul stores. Average cost runs from $5 on up depending on size.
- A painter’s plastic drop cloth would also work, just be sure all sides are covered, and the seams are sealed with duct tape or packing tape.
Click here for more information.